Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#150137 - 25/03/2003 08:10 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Ok, now my translation says do not murder, which is different than kill.

#150138 - 25/03/2003 08:12 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
Banacek
journeyman

So you're just arguing the semantics of something you don't believe in? That seems like a waste of time.

My parents were missionaries, so arguing about Christianity is a bad habit I'm having a hard time breaking A lot of people go around saying that they're something, without really knowing what it means. They should read the Bible, at points it's highly disturbing. Also, people use Christianity as a reason for their hatred and bigotry, which I think is wrong.

#150139 - 25/03/2003 08:16 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, that's an interesting argument. I, personally, don't make any distinction between the local authority killing someone versus a person doing it, but I see your point.

#150140 - 25/03/2003 08:18 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
Banacek
journeyman

That's not quite what I was getting at: that reading you provided (if you interpret it correctly) says that we can't accept the New Testament as, er, gospel, without refusing to accept Deuteronomy 4:2 as gospel. So you've got to pick-and-choose either way.

Not really, the whole story of the Old Testament is to tell about how man sinned, and fell out of the grace of God. And the only one who can come and save us is the Messiah, the Son of God. So the story of the Son of God coming to earth and dying for our sins would be what every man was waiting for, and would be the inspired word of God.

#150141 - 25/03/2003 08:18 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
The original manuscripts don't contain any of the misogynicist tone that you'd find in the King James Version. Or the blatant hatred of homosexuals either.

That's an interesting observation that got a bit lost in the arguing. I can understand how misogyny crept in in translation (male pronouns for God etc.), but have you got a source for the homosexuality thing? Seems to me that plenty of people ought to be told about it if the bibles they thump aren't, in fact, anti-gay.

Peter

#150142 - 25/03/2003 08:18 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Well, that's an interesting argument. I, personally, don't make any distinction between the local authority killing someone versus a person doing it, but I see your point.

Naturally...not being a Texan and all...

#150143 - 25/03/2003 08:21 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
"Thou shalt not kill" truly is a bad translation, at least for our vernacular... it made a little more sense in 1611.

#150144 - 25/03/2003 08:26 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
revlmwest
addict

Anti gay sentiment is misunderstood on both sides of the spectrum. The Bible is very clear through both testaments and several authors that homosexuality is a sin. However, Paul lists it right beside lying and dishonoring your parents, something I'm sure all of us have been guilty of at least once in our lives. Making anything short of disbelief the unpardonable sin contradicts the theme of scripture. Those of my theological slant that make homosexuals the brunt of jokes or demean their worth, quite frequently find my "Mr. Roger's Personality" turning much more "Isaiah, Thus saith the Lord."

#150145 - 25/03/2003 08:27 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
Banacek
journeyman

That's an interesting observation that got a bit lost in the arguing. I can understand how misogyny crept in in translation (male pronouns for God etc.), but have you got a source for the homosexuality thing? Seems to me that plenty of people ought to be told about it if the bibles they thump aren't, in fact, anti-gay.

Most people who argue that the Bible is anti-gay use the text in Romans about "Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion." Romans 1:27. If you look at the original text though, what Paul was talking about was the disgusting orgies and acts of self-decadance that were going on in Rome at the time (which admittedly,. were pretty much as wrong as you get) When translated, it was turned into being just anit-gay, when the real meaning was not the act that was wrong, but the way they were doing it. I wish I had the book I read on the subject, but it was a while ago. Anyway, if you look at the life of Jesus, who did he hang out with? The prostitues, the sinners. He didn't judge, he accepted everyone. I wish more people would believe in that than the one verse they find to support their hate.

#150146 - 25/03/2003 08:27 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JBjorgen]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Naturally...not being a Texan and all...

Yes we just did execute (or are about to) our 300th person. The next state behind us has executed about 80.

#150147 - 25/03/2003 08:29 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: revlmwest]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

"Thou shalt not kill" truly is a bad translation, at least for our vernacular... it made a little more sense in 1611.
Actually, I think it makes a hell of a lot of sense now.

Of the things in the Bible that make sense, it is second only to Luke 6:31 (or Matthew 7:12).

#150148 - 25/03/2003 08:30 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: revlmwest]
Banacek
journeyman

The Bible is very clear through both testaments and several authors that homosexuality is a sin.

The Old Testament has a lot of sins that people violate every day. That was the purpose of it. To show that man could never follow all those rules and live a sin free life. It showed that if they wanted to follow God, they would need the Messiah.

#150149 - 25/03/2003 08:30 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
peter
carpal tunnel

acts of self-decadence

What a great band name!

Peter

#150150 - 25/03/2003 08:35 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: revlmwest]
revlmwest
addict

In reply to:

The original manuscripts don't contain any of the misogynicist tone that you'd find in the King James Version. Or the blatant hatred of homosexuals either.

This statement is both wrong and representative of why discussions such as this one should not define people's beliefs. The orginal manuscripts of the old and new testaments are not extant. The Old Testament manuscripts were destroyed as the became worn. The New Testament documents will probably never be found either.

#150151 - 25/03/2003 08:37 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
peter
carpal tunnel

Most people who argue that the Bible is anti-gay use the text in Romans

There's also the uncomfortable matter of Leviticus 20:13 (see Q7).

the disgusting orgies and acts of self-decadence [...] (which admittedly,. were pretty much as wrong as you get)

Hang on, are you saying that even consensual orgies are disgusting and/or wrong, or are you saying the Romans went in for nonconsensual orgies? How come self-decadence is sinful?

Peter

#150152 - 25/03/2003 08:37 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
revlmwest
addict

I'm speaking of making sense out of translation, not the philosophical idea.

#150153 - 25/03/2003 08:43 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: revlmwest]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I know. I was making something of a non-sequitur point, not implying that you felt either way.

#150154 - 25/03/2003 08:45 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

The Old Testament has a lot of sins that people violate every day. That was the purpose of it. To show that man could never follow all those rules and live a sin free life. It showed that if they wanted to follow God, they would need the Messiah.

Almost correct. Yes the law was to demonstrate that people needed the Messiah, but that doesn't mean that what was sin then is no longer sin. While we are no longer required to adhere to the laws pertaining to worship practices and government because of the crucifixion, we are still under the “moral” law, where homosexuality would fall. It is still sin and therefore in conflict of living the Christian life.

However, (and this is a big “however’) so are many other things that Christians seem to overlook while targeting on homosexuality. This attitude of Christians is wrong and tends to undermine our purpose. "Living the Christian life" is not the prerequsite for salvation (faith is), therefore, not being a homosexual is not a prerequsite for salvation. In fact, I am sure that many Christians struggle with homosexuality, as we all are struggle with sin.

#150155 - 25/03/2003 08:47 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

How come self-decadence is sinful?

Because it draws us away from God, which is the whole point of sin. Sin is not about doing wrong to society, but "missing the mark" (where the word comes from) that God intends us to hit.

#150156 - 25/03/2003 08:52 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
Banacek
journeyman

Hang on, are you saying that even consensual orgies are disgusting and/or wrong, or are you saying the Romans went in for nonconsensual orgies? How come self-decadence is sinful?

Cause your body is a temple of God's. You are supposed to take care of it. So if say, you go around eating way too much, and throwing up just so you can eat more, that would be a sin. The act of sex isn't wrong, but if that's all you do everyday, if it's your life, then that would be wrong.

#150157 - 25/03/2003 08:55 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
Banacek
journeyman

Almost correct. Yes the law was to demonstrate that people needed the Messiah, but that doesn't mean that what was sin then is no longer sin. While we are no longer required to adhere to the laws pertaining to worship practices and government because of the crucifixion, we are still under the “moral” law, where homosexuality would fall. It is still sin and therefore in conflict of living the Christian life.

But that just falls into the whole picking and choosing part again. My point is that nowhere in the gospels does Jesus say it's ok to hate and alienate. But people do that everyday in his name.

#150158 - 25/03/2003 08:58 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: revlmwest]
Banacek
journeyman

This statement is both wrong and representative of why discussions such as this one should not define people's beliefs. The orginal manuscripts of the old and new testaments are not extant. The Old Testament manuscripts were destroyed as the became worn. The New Testament documents will probably never be found either.

Going by that then we shouldn't believe anything that is in the Bible, cause who knows what hidden agenda is in there.

#150159 - 25/03/2003 08:58 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
peter
carpal tunnel

Yes the law was to demonstrate that people needed the Messiah

Whatever else you can say about the Lord, He's a marketing genius. "I'll impose all these arbitrary rules on you, specifically aimed at making it impossible to follow them all, and then I'll offer you a new faith-based product in which following these rules is not the prerequisite for salvation." That's right up there with "New Windows 95 doesn't restrict you to 8.3 filenames" in the arena of selling solutions to problems the seller created in the first place.

Peter

#150160 - 25/03/2003 09:01 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
Banacek
journeyman

Whatever else you can say about the Lord, He's a marketing genius. "I'll impose all these arbitrary rules on you, specifically aimed at making it impossible to follow them all, and then I'll offer you a new faith-based product in which following these rules is not the prerequisite for salvation." That's right up there with "New Windows 95 doesn't restrict you to 8.3 filenames" in the arena of selling solutions to problems the seller created in the first place.

That one had me rolling. It's the truth though. All Jesus asked for is your faith in him, and your behavoir towards your fellow man to be one of acceptance and love.

#150161 - 25/03/2003 09:08 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

But that just falls into the whole picking and choosing part again.

Not true. It is still the infallible word of God, and we are not “picking and choosing” what we like and do not like. We do not live in a theocracy, so therefore laws concerning government are not directly applicable (though there are still underlying principals). Likewise, in the New Testament we are told that Jesus' sacrifice was the summation of the sacrificial system of worship, so those law are not to be strictly observed (but again, there are principals the are meaningful). Jesus was quite clear, however, when it cam to the rest of the law that it should still be observed.

My point is that nowhere in the gospels does Jesus say it's ok to hate and alienate. But people do that everyday in his name.

Which is a good point, and in fact what I was saying in the rest of my post.

#150162 - 25/03/2003 09:11 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: peter]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

'll impose all these arbitrary rules on you, specifically aimed at making it impossible to follow them all. . .

Except that it isn't impossible to follow them all. Jesus was fully man and he did it. If Adam had not fallen he would have been able to follow the law perfectly as well. All the law does is demonstrate what is already true: that we reject God and instead focus on ourselves.

#150163 - 25/03/2003 09:32 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: Banacek]
revlmwest
addict

First my point is that you were relying on documents to prove your point that are not extant. Secondly, the Bible does have more documentation than any other book in existence. Fragments and texts over hundreds of years have shown phenomenal accuracy and trustworthiness. But even this is moot when one considers the formation of the canon. Either I believe the God I have a personal relationship with to be capable of keeping His text pure or I don't.

#150164 - 25/03/2003 09:32 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Jesus was fully man and he did it.
At least according to the gospel as edited by Constantine.
If Adam had not fallen he would have been able to follow the law perfectly as well.
This is the same as saying if he hadn't eaten an apple, then he wouldn't have eaten an apple -- a meaningless tautology.

#150165 - 25/03/2003 09:33 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: JeffS]
revlmwest
addict

It also isn't arbitrary since the laws describe the nature of God. Be holy because I am holy... The law isn't what God wanted us to be like, it is what He already is.

#150166 - 25/03/2003 09:47 Re: "Evidence for a Young World" [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

This is the same as saying if he hadn't eaten an apple, then he wouldn't have eaten an apple -- a meaningless tautology.

No, it is saying if he hadn't eaten the apple he'd have been obeying God. God said "you have a choice: eat the apple and defy me, or don't eat the apple and live without sin." Adam ate the apple and demonstrated that he believed he knew a better way than God.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >